Wednesday 26 January 2011

Art Dogs Assult on Martin Creed


Thursday night was one to remember, at least until I lost much of my memory in the later hours. The art was great! A big monstrous sculpture of the illuminated word Mothers spinning around and around gaining momentum then slowing to an almost stop. Monstrous, silly or just really important? Three possible angles you could take - I think take them all.
First encounter made me think "fucking hell! Money is no object Martin" But I also thought this is money well spent. Big powerful Hardcore art!
Mothers is many things and everything to all, Mothers can also be a massive weight spinning around your head most of the time, like my mother.
Grabbing two beers and walking around to the next door there is over forty underwhelming paintings, some framed some are not. They are underwhelming in a good way, like an antidote to the revolving mothers next door. Of course these paintings are Creeds bread, butter and jam but they are also economically brilliant, doing just enough. Many people don't like his paintings but I think they are right and I think Creed knows they're right.
The photographs of dogs are OK, but I don't think they belong in this show - it is just too much. It is unusual for Martin Creed to do just too much, but the show would've been perfect with just the Mothers piece and the paintings.
On to the important bit, when I approached the nice lady behind the desk and asked for a map to the party.
Armed with a map to the party, Vanessa, Harriet and I made our way from Savile Row to Greek Street ,while many art dogs left for a show in camden.
A few people were already outside The Union Club being checked off the guest list so we joined in. We were not on the guest list but I gave my name confidently, as she searched through again and again, Harriet stepped in and said "oh maybe Will put it under his name? Will Harvey" the clipboard babe quickly found this name and in we went.
Wow Brilliant! We hung up our coats and waltzed in amongst the few hundred already there, free bar and free meze's that is what we like! Martin's Band soon came on and we found perfect spots between a bar and the band. We drank up, danced and talked the night away and things get more blurry.
Will Harvey turned up and Vanessa admitted our crime, but all was completely fine he just walked in anyway. Dr Bombastic and his girlfriend also managed to walk in at some point. Harriet was sick, her boyfriend collected her and we trekked for two hours home, including Will Harvey who helped walk my bike while I fell, stumbled and crawled my way home with blurry eyes.
Anyway a big thank you to Hauser and Wirth and Martin Creed, Up the Establishment! Up The Art Dogs!